Some time ago I rebuilt this engine but during the running in process it had a rattle, which would only come at a particular rev range ,but was otherwise smooth. Once the sump was off ,the bottom of the oil pan was inspected and odd tiny peices of metal which looked like bearing metal . The rod caps were removed and the bearing,although not completely destroyed are scuffed really badly. Why?
My initial thoughts were to pull the oil pump off as this is an obvious oil supply problem .Although the pump was inspected atc when the engine was rebuilt I decided to strip it right down and two things popped right out . First, the round wear mark in the pump shaft housing . and that square hole . It’s actually a fault in the pump housing as far as i can figure .It would appear that this hole has allowed the oil ,once hot to lose a fair amount of the pump vacuum as it sucks the oil up from the sump . So,once the car got up to temperature and at highway speeds the oil volume would fall away although the gauge would still be indicating full pressure at engine speeds above idle speed.
Next step will be to replace the oil pump and bearings and inspect the oil pressure relief valve ,then reassemble the engine and install it back into the car.
The new engine and trans are installed with a new oil pan ,rear and front crank seals. New injectors with new intake manifold gaskets,timing chain and rails should see a nice reliable tow car for the owner 🙂 .New fuel hoses and clamps will connect the fuel system together .
The Right rear section ,when paint was stripped off revealed more damage .The yellowish parts on the panel are bronze from the previous attempt at repair .
The ruler indicates hte depth of the dent
Right rear edge of the boot lid is 10 mm too high,indicating hidden damage.
left rear edge of boot lid fits closer and factory correct.
The bootlid sits high along this edge too, because the fender edge has not been straightened properly in the past and will have to be lifted up.
The Difference in the panels
The new rear Box for the panel has been fitted and welded into place .
New outer skin is being welded into place .
At the ‘C’ Pillar further damage from a past accident has been revealed so this will need to be straightende out ,Once the rear window was removed, further rust has been revealed because the rubber seal had not been fitted properly and moisture had leaked in .
Rist in the base of theC pillar .
Inside the C pillar section at the parcel shelf it has rusted quite badly .
Often Parts for a resto are a little hard to come by and a Mercedes W112 long wheel base is no exception. So when this poor car was revealed to me last week it was decided to grab it for parts. it’s car #1120152206292 and was built in 1965 >Off the road since 1988 because of problem with the brakes the car was left in the open and went down hill over 30 years.
Lots of Rust,Lots of loose parts ,some parts are not going to be useable like those perforated bumpers.
Rear wheel arches are rotten and there wasn’t much to lift on underneath,wheel is a toyota hilux .To move the car i had to swap them out and fit a set of inflated mercedes rims.
Nothing salvageable inside the car it’s pretty damned unhealthy in there .
Termites had eaten the wood off the dash and doors…This was a highly optioned car when new,with central locking ,factory air and luggage.
Engine department is complete with everything in place .
Because of the air suspension ,the car was sitting very low .Blocks of wood were jammed in between the lower control arm and the cross member to hold the front up and beteen the diff and floor at the rear.
Once the lower part of the right rear quarter was remove rust in the wheel house was discovered ..
The rust removed and repaired in this place .
Rust in these places is unfortunately very common ,as the boot lid hinge pocket has a drain which dumps into the base of the rear roof reinforcement. in Australian built cars such as this they rust because it was bare steel .In the above pic the rust in the base has been repaired with new steel.
At this point I checked the condition of the remainder of the panel and even though I spent several hours attempting to straighten it,it was obvious that it looked OK from a distance but is damaged beyond repair .
The only option was to remove the damaged remnants and repair further rust on the wheel house .The bulge in the panel is a result of tension /pressure caused when the car has been hit in the rear at some time in the past. The rear panel will probably have to be replaced too as it appears to have also been roughly repaired .
the Roof support beam can be seen here and where it is welded to the wheel house it has rusted and been repaired.
The Lower part,on the wheel house opening was also replaced as water collects there, dirt builds up and this had caused more rust .It was beginning to come though the fender skin . The wheel house was also damaged in the accident and had to be bought back into shape
So ,with that i had to make a complete new skin to replace the rusted and dented parts.