The rear panel on this car has had a few hits over the last 51 years and suffered from some pretty bad repair work. To straighten the dents and remove the rust ,caused by leaking tail light gasket i made a patch and cut out the rust with a hole saw.
With access through the hole , I could poke a dolly in and shrink out all the small dents .Last step was to repair the hole where the lights fit .It was pretty tough getting the dings out because the metal had been ground pretty hard in the past when someone has tried to fix the panel in the past.
250 S in very straight condition. Been off the road since 2010 due to a minor fault. This is a project car and will require normal work to get registration etc . There is very little rust in the right front sill front and the rear boot box bottom,right hand side.
No rust in the doors or floors!! no dash cracks ,and the MBtex seats are still very good. Original boot mat is in very nice condition .
This is RHD 6,3 #2206 . The engine is incomplete and the drivers side sill/rocker is rotten but the rest of the car is surprisingly sound but in need of a full restoration .RHD 6.3’s are too rare to part out and i would rather restore this car anyway….. or build a historic racer for weekend fun.
I First saw this Car some years ago when the owner wanted an opinion of it , before buying it. In the mean time it was stripped and repainted a gorgeous Moss green Metallic . The job ahead of me now is too reassemble it to show standard
The interior needs a lot of work as it appears to have been sitting at the painters for a very long time. The engine room is scruffy so that is going to be a big job sorting out a locked up engine and redoing all the plating and replacing all the rubber.
and i thought i’d try a Borbet wheel for size on my coupe project.
I’ve been restoring a 190SL for an owner and part of the task involves rebuilding it’s non standard DCOE carbs. A lot of W121’s were fitted with these over years to get around the problems thrown up by the awful Solex side draft carbs originally fitted.
I made my own bead rolling machine a while back using a Kohler chimney pipe cutter frame ..used for cutting chimney pipeand crimping the ends so it can be slid together. most of the machine was missing which made it ideal for it’s new purpose. I made the dies from B1 steel for long life. I made a bunch of different dies before when i made a boot floor for a 1960 Buick electra 225.
Here’s a set i made this week for dong Mercedes Floor panels.
Roughed out on my Arad Romanian monster lathe…
Semi finished with a radius to match the original mercedes grooves.
mounted on the Kohler frame with a grub screw to lock it on the shaft. The reason the rollers are different sizes are because the Kohler gears were two different sizes….
First developed in England in the 1940’s,this is a process where water and compressed air is used to clean delicate parts and restore the finish to an ‘as new’ surface. Also known as vapour blasting or slurry blasting ,it is almost a green process as no caustic chemicals are required to remove dirt and oxidation .
Pictured are a pair of Porsche 928 cam boxes (yes i will work on any quality car!) . the lower is a ‘before ‘ example with burnt on oil and badly oxidised surface. The above it is an example of the finish achieved by just cleaning. next pic shows a 928 cylinder head as removed ,again very oxidised . Thwe 3rd picture shows the bare heads,all clean ready for valves ,springs seals etc to be fitted.
Feel free to call about your parts restoration and what i can offer.