Rear panel is badly dented and bad repairs in the past were hidden under a layer of cheap body filler .
Yellow lines out line some of the Dents which have to be repaired before the Side panel can be fitted to the car..
With some of the dents removed . the extent of the distortion is revealed by the piece of wood .The arrows indicate where the panel is leaning back, where it should be leaning the other way.
This is the fuel pump cover which was dented and rusty after 50 years under the car, being bashed by rocks and bad driving..Now straightened out and repainted in the correct Satin Black.
Once the lower part of the right rear quarter was remove rust in the wheel house was discovered ..
The rust removed and repaired in this place .
Rust in these places is unfortunately very common ,as the boot lid hinge pocket has a drain which dumps into the base of the rear roof reinforcement. in Australian built cars such as this they rust because it was bare steel .In the above pic the rust in the base has been repaired with new steel.
At this point I checked the condition of the remainder of the panel and even though I spent several hours attempting to straighten it,it was obvious that it looked OK from a distance but is damaged beyond repair .
The only option was to remove the damaged remnants and repair further rust on the wheel house .The bulge in the panel is a result of tension /pressure caused when the car has been hit in the rear at some time in the past. The rear panel will probably have to be replaced too as it appears to have also been roughly repaired .
the Roof support beam can be seen here and where it is welded to the wheel house it has rusted and been repaired.
The Lower part,on the wheel house opening was also replaced as water collects there, dirt builds up and this had caused more rust .It was beginning to come though the fender skin . The wheel house was also damaged in the accident and had to be bought back into shape
So ,with that i had to make a complete new skin to replace the rusted and dented parts.
The task of reassembly is proceeding at a slow pace as parts arrive from suppliers.
The dash is original and the radio ,a becker Grand prix ,has life but the speakers are worn out.
The original Upholstery has been cleaned and is quite good condition , the carpet unfortunately has been eaten by some sort of insect. The originals will be used to make patterns for the replacement
Door Cards are in good condition considering they are 52 years old.
Some of the side bright trim is show signs of it’s age and will need to be restored.
All Four doors have to be replaced but still need a lot of Work ,being 50 + years old Here ,New Skins are bing made and fitted .
With the removal of the underbody dirt and remnants of underseal, Some old repairs have been discovered .Most really rough patches welded over rusty parts.
The bottom of the Spare wheel well has a pretty bad looking patch welded in,
Bits of Steel welded into place at some point in the past.
Bottom of the Left rear quarter panel which has another rough patch welded in place .
Left rear quarter has been hit in the past and will need repair (i’ll probably make a new rear panel )
Getting the underside ready for paint. Unfortunately the repairs to the rear panel and quarter panel have delayed the painting .
New Spare wheel well bottom panel made . The patchy one has been removed ,the lower one in the picture.
Lower quarter panel and inner section showing more rust damage , most of this was not repaired in the past,simply covered in bituminous underseal. Both of these sections will be replaced.
Initial stages of making the new rear quarter bottom panel
Door Skin in the process of being welded .
The 300SE lang has received it’s tank ,cleaned and sealed to prevent any problems in future . The original feed pump was missing so a common Kjet pump has been installed .
The in tank filter has been cleaned an reinstalled.
The owner has sent over some used hubcaps which had to be coloured to match the car .Pictured here, they have been etch primed.
More Chrome has been reinstalled.