The Bonnet has been stripped to the metal and primed several times and is at last getting smooth enough .
The Roof however is a different matter. It has sever damage all over it some of which i hammered out and metal finished but some is too badly damaged to completely remove so it has been leaded . The darker spots are Low spots and the lighter spots are high spots revealed in the first primer and guide coats. It’s as if someone had gone over the roof with a ball pien hammer
The boot Lid is similar but not as bad as high spots made by things being carried in the have hit the skin . In the meantime other panels are also getting the primer ,sand,Primer,Sand,Primer routine too..
The Right rear section ,when paint was stripped off revealed more damage .The yellowish parts on the panel are bronze from the previous attempt at repair .
The ruler indicates hte depth of the dent
Right rear edge of the boot lid is 10 mm too high,indicating hidden damage.
left rear edge of boot lid fits closer and factory correct.
The bootlid sits high along this edge too, because the fender edge has not been straightened properly in the past and will have to be lifted up.
The Difference in the panels
The new rear Box for the panel has been fitted and welded into place .
New outer skin is being welded into place .
At the ‘C’ Pillar further damage from a past accident has been revealed so this will need to be straightende out ,Once the rear window was removed, further rust has been revealed because the rubber seal had not been fitted properly and moisture had leaked in .
Rist in the base of theC pillar .
Inside the C pillar section at the parcel shelf it has rusted quite badly .
Often Parts for a resto are a little hard to come by and a Mercedes W112 long wheel base is no exception. So when this poor car was revealed to me last week it was decided to grab it for parts. it’s car #1120152206292 and was built in 1965 >Off the road since 1988 because of problem with the brakes the car was left in the open and went down hill over 30 years.
Lots of Rust,Lots of loose parts ,some parts are not going to be useable like those perforated bumpers.
Rear wheel arches are rotten and there wasn’t much to lift on underneath,wheel is a toyota hilux .To move the car i had to swap them out and fit a set of inflated mercedes rims.
Nothing salvageable inside the car it’s pretty damned unhealthy in there .
Termites had eaten the wood off the dash and doors…This was a highly optioned car when new,with central locking ,factory air and luggage.
Engine department is complete with everything in place .
Because of the air suspension ,the car was sitting very low .Blocks of wood were jammed in between the lower control arm and the cross member to hold the front up and beteen the diff and floor at the rear.
Once the lower part of the right rear quarter was remove rust in the wheel house was discovered ..
The rust removed and repaired in this place .
Rust in these places is unfortunately very common ,as the boot lid hinge pocket has a drain which dumps into the base of the rear roof reinforcement. in Australian built cars such as this they rust because it was bare steel .In the above pic the rust in the base has been repaired with new steel.
At this point I checked the condition of the remainder of the panel and even though I spent several hours attempting to straighten it,it was obvious that it looked OK from a distance but is damaged beyond repair .
The only option was to remove the damaged remnants and repair further rust on the wheel house .The bulge in the panel is a result of tension /pressure caused when the car has been hit in the rear at some time in the past. The rear panel will probably have to be replaced too as it appears to have also been roughly repaired .
the Roof support beam can be seen here and where it is welded to the wheel house it has rusted and been repaired.
The Lower part,on the wheel house opening was also replaced as water collects there, dirt builds up and this had caused more rust .It was beginning to come though the fender skin . The wheel house was also damaged in the accident and had to be bought back into shape
So ,with that i had to make a complete new skin to replace the rusted and dented parts.